Nepal adopted the multi-university concept in 1983. The idea of Pokhara University (PU) was conceived in 1986; however, it was established only in 1997 under the Pokhara University Act, 1997. The Incumbent Honorable Prime Minister and the Honorable Minister for Education of the Federal Democratic Republic Nepal are the Chancellor and the Pro-Chancellor, respectively. The Chancellor appoints the Vice Chancellor, the principal executive officer of the university. The Registrar is designated to assist him/her in financial management and general administration. A non-profit autonomous institution, PU is partly funded by the Government of Nepal and partly by revenues from its students and affiliated colleges.
Objectives of Pokhara University
- produce adept human resource in science and technology, humanities and management, and law and education for nation building
- encourage the participation of private sectors in higher education through extension programs
- create healthy, disciplined, result-oriented academic environment that focuses on higher education
- promote competitive and quality higher education through fair competition
- accelerate socio-economic transformation in line with community services
Pokhara university has started its academic activities as guided by the Government’s act since 1996. Its main function is to produce skilled human resources necessary for the national development by providing quality education. In order to achieve such objectives, Semester system based curriculum and evaluation were carried out with high priority to practical knowledge and researches
- Pokhara University developed its four constituent schools where Bachelor’s and Master’s Degrees programs are running.
- Pokhara University has started its programs with private participation. At present, there are 49 academic institutions under its affiliation where Bachelor, Master, M.Phil and Ph.D.degrees programs are running.
- Pokhara University has constructed Administrative and Academics Buildings at Dhungepatan, Lekhnath, Kaski. Other physical infrastructure are in the process of development.
to be a leader in the promotion of education through quality higher education, health and community service
- develop the institution into a Center of Excellence for Higher Education by enhancing teaching, learning and research activities; to accelerate the national development process by producing job market-driven, responsible, productive, welfare focused and committed human resources; to link the university system with community services
- unfold the potential and creativity of learners, advocating humanism, reason, innovation, and search for truth
Quality education should necessarily not be limited to rhetoric. It has to be in reality and action, so that the university students imbibe critical thinking skills, develop positive attitude to work, and enhance competitiveness. Pokhara University, the youngest university system operating full-fledged programs in the country, aims at producing human resources capable of working for the nation as well as the global community.
Long Term Goals
- promote a high-ranked university in South Asia
- produce high level human resources equipped with skills, values, competences, and excellences
- prepare high level manpower capable of facing challenges and giving directions for future developments
- integrate academic research and scholarship that will strengthen the teaching curriculum, and thus, preserve, generate and disseminate knowledge
- build a dynamic university system proficient in withstanding changes and challenges
- pursue excellence and quality in all aspects of the University’s activities and services
Short Term Goals
- launch programs rich in scope and content, endowed with problem-solving strategies, especially in the areas with gaps between needs and availability from local, national and international perspectives
- develop a rigorous and interactive community of faculty and students where human relationships are valued and respected, equality of opportunity pursued, and personal and intellectual development fostered
- provide students of the Western Development Region with an equitable access to resources to encourage educational partnership both externally and internally to help materialize the University’s mission
- contribute to the socio-economic development of the region as well as the nation
Pokhara University manages its expenditures mainly from three sources: Nepal Government’s grants, revenue from students and affiliated institutions. PU has been gradually reducing its dependence on government coffer in line with Nepal Government’s fiscal policy of cost-effective sharing with private sectors. However, it fully depends on government grants for financing the capital expenditure, especially on building infrastructures for academic and administrative purposes. With the local community-endowed land, PU provides spaces for Schools and Research Centers included in the University Plan. PU credits donors and contributors involved in the construction of infrastructures, such as hostel, library, stadium, and auditorium.
Pokhara University has adopted Semester system. All Bachelor’s degrees are of four years course extended in eight semester and Master’s degrees are of two years extended in four semesters. M. Phil & MBA degree is of one and half years extended in three semesters. There are Four Faculties such as :
- Faculty of Sciences and Technology
- Faculty of Management Studies
- Faculty of Humanities and Social Sciences
- Faculty of Health Sciences
There are more than about 30,000 students altogether in 47 programs. In the 13th Convocation of Pokhara University, 4,464 students were graduated held on 20 April 2016. This number will increase each year.
Pokhara University is located in Lekhnath Municipality of Kaski district, thirteen kilometer east to the heart of the Pokhara city. It has already built its academic complex in the serene and scenic location of seven lake city, Lekhnath, in the lap of the beautiful Himalayan range and peaks such as Mt. Machhapuchre and Mt. Annapurna. In addition,Begnas lake and Rupa lake are walking distance of its academic complex and central office. It is planning to develop the infrastructure for School of Engineering Sciences on the bank of Khudi River and School of Medical Sciences on the bank of Seti River, five minute walking distance from Prithivi High Way.
Local community is generous to endow the land in the scenic and beautiful location for other potential schools and research center such as School of Education and Sports, School of Tourism and Hotel Management, and Herbal Research Center.